Thursday, January 11, 2007

Trip to the Water Tower

Many of you bloggers may have passed by your local water tower, proabably even more of you have wondered, "What the heck is in there?" well I have the answers.
We first journeyed into the tower because my next door neighbor is basically the boss of everything that involves water in the city. So he got the hook up for our entire young mens group to venture inside.
The real reason we had the chance to get in is because the inside of the water tower needed to be painted. The outside (as I'm sure you can tell) is left to rust which actually gives it more protection, one of the men who showed us around told us that the graffiti that gets put on is gone within the week. Both me and my dad thought that we were get in through the top down a ladder but much to our suprise we entered through a 3ft hole in the side.
Merrill Bingham (my neighbor) explained that in a single hot summers day that tank is empty and filled 18 times! The hole in this picture is where all the water comes out from, imagine that.
This last picture is where the overflow water goes, it then travels under a bunch of homes and into another water tower by the Provo Temple. The area above this pipe is the reason that the tank needed to be painted. All the water vapor pays its toll on the above area and makes the water chip off.

8 comments:

QueenScarlett said...

I'm here because I listen to your Mom - and she's fantastic. This was so interesting... I've only been on top of a water tower - you know - the tower located in what my friends and I referred to as the provo bermuda triangle (mtc, temple, foreign lang housing residence).

dalene said...

Queen, how cool! I used to spend days at a time up there with my friends. We'd load up with crackers, crab dip and soda and a backpack full of homework and spend the day sunbathing, sleeping and studying.

Z~ I like your pics. Take more!

elasticwaistbandlady said...

That's a lie!!! I watched the movie, Aquamarine more times than I care to tell you, and I know that water towers are used for hiding runaway mermaids. You can't fool the informed public, you know!

Geo said...

Can't tell you how much fun I've had over the years I've been in Provo, pinging little rocks into the side of that tank! I love the sound of it. That's pretty great that you got to go inside it. I'd love to do that. Never occurred to me that you could.

Your photos are terrific, and so is your narration. Hope you keep up the blogging.

b. said...

Thanks for the education ~Z!
Yer mom's pretty cool-and, it appears, so are you!

LuckyRedHen said...

You're impressing me more and more, Z, with your picture taking! Keep it up and the storytelling is even more intriguing.

Carina said...

That is SO COOL.

sue-donym said...

I have lived here since I was 7 years old, and I have never been in or on the water towe.

Thanks for the in depth look!