Thursday, January 11, 2007

"Theres a Hawk in my Coop!"

Today we had quite the suprise. My dad owns about 40 pigeons spread into two different coops. On occasion a hawk would venture by and eat a pigeon. My dad usually gets out his trusty 'flipper' and scares off the scoundrels but today was different. Just when he was walking out to feed the pigeons he noticed something was astir. When he walked over he saw that one of his favorite pigeons was on the floor and the hawk was in the coop. He shut the door on it and came and got us kids. As it turns out, the hawk had tried to get in before and finally figured out the one way door. Now he's trapped and sometime in the next week we're going to take him out and set him free. Oh and its a Coopers Hawk for you animals lovers out there like me.

11 comments:

Lorien said...

how cool is that? except for the pigeons.

Geo said...

Wow! He's beautiful!

We've got an owl who's taken up residence behind our house. We hear a tuneful "HOOT-hoo-hoo-hoo-hoot" through our back windows in the evening. As yet we've only seen his silhouette.

dalene said...

BTW, love the pun!

b. said...

AWESOME!

LuckyRedHen said...

How'd the pigeon fare (just because he was on the floor, I don't know why I'm presuming the pigeon is a he, doesn't mean he's dead.)?

LuckyRedHen said...

And, again, nice picture taking. The first is my fav followed by the 3rd.

dalene said...

Z~, you can tell her about the pigeon, but remind me, Lucky, to tell you someday a great story about another hawk and a pigeon we later named Lucky.

Rhonda Sloan said...

Ditto on the pun comment from your mom...and great photos too!

LuckyRedHen said...

Well Z. Where's my story?

dalene said...

Well needless to say. I don't think the pigeon made it, something had to distract the hawk while my dad closed the door. I'm not saying he diliberatly put the pigeon in but the hawk got to him. And the story about Lucky goes like this. My dad had a pigeon that got taken by the hawk. He tried to follow the hawk and he dropped the bird in the church parking lot. My dad nursed the pigeon back to health and we named him lucky

dalene said...

So this sharing thing gets kind of complicated on Blogger.

That last comment was from Z~ signed in as me.

As for Lucky, when my husband got to him he was about half eaten. We made him comfortable, but were sure he wouldn't live.

He proved us wrong.

But we were absolutely certain he wouldn't fly again.

Again he proved us wrong.

So we named him Lucky and I think about him often when I hear people refer to you as Lucky, Lucky.